Etiquette Check
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: Etiquette Check

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 10 of 10 Replies

PAGES: 1
Itslikeimsayin
Etiquette Check
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Saturday May 1, 2021 7:02 PM
It's still bad etiquette to drive ahead of your playing partners unless you're considerably off to the side, right? I've had a few instances lately where playing partners hit, jump in their cart and head off. Some of the people I played with today drove ahead of me and stopped almost right on my line as I was hitting my approach shot to the par-5 2nd, and then later all bailed and drove ahead as I took a drop from the cart path on the par-5 9th. I messed up both shots badly, so I either need to learn to accept poor etiquette better, or get paired with people who know what they're doing.

I wonder if single-rider carts are making people feel like they don't have to think about anyone but themselves?
 Message #98752
Nickesquire
RE: Etiquette Check
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Wolf Creek Poppy

Saturday May 1, 2021 7:19 PM
No Mark, you are correct in bringing this up since it both affected your shots AND could be a safety issue.

Since single rider carts have become the norm I have been guilty of doing this myself w/o thinking or realizing I was too far ahead. Or because they have been so slow I just went ahead and got what I considered well out of the way, like in the tree line out of the sun. I think it boils down to one guy thinking they are speeding up play by moving ahead is another guys etiquette issue?

But I also have been on the other end and been bothered when I was getting ready to hit and there was someone in front of me. One guy thinking he is out of the way is still within another guys comfort zone?
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #98753 - This was a reply to message #98752
Itslikeimsayin
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Saturday May 1, 2021 8:00 PM
Yeah, on that 2nd hole, I considered saying something but then decided not to, but my primary swing thought was just, "Don't skull this right into these people!" instead of focusing on what I really needed to be doing.
 Message #98754 - This was a reply to message #98753
1PLUS1

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

Saturday May 1, 2021 8:36 PM
You have to ask yourself...is this type of behavior a sign of ignorance or simply a misguided attempt to keep play moving? With all the emphasis on 'Play Ready Golf', these guys may think they're doing everyone a favor when, in fact, they are hindering play within their own group by becoming a distraction. And I've seen it happen within groups of four, so I don't believe it's a 'single riders only' problem.

The thing is, if they do it once, take note. If it becomes a recurring issue, then it's on you to bring it to their attention, and explain why. Taking a tactful, diplomatic approach should alleviate the solution, provided they're understanding and sympathetic to your concerns. If not, then you'll be in for a long, frustrating day. It all boils down to what matters most to you: playing the game as it should be played or being afraid of stepping on anyone's toes.

Personally, I don't feel that prematurely moving up ahead of anyone who hasn't hit their shot yet is necessary nor provides any benefit, unless in the case of searchng for a possible lost ball. Still, proper etiquette should be taken into account before doing so in order not to distract the player 'on the clock'. Unfortunately, that approach is currently on track to become the exception rather than the norm.
 Message #98755 - This was a reply to message #98752
zachary

Favorite Golfer:
    Paul Goydos
Favorite Golf Course:
    Industry Hills

Saturday May 1, 2021 8:57 PM
if anyone is concerned with finishing a round of golf in under 5 hours, play ready golf. If we all sit and wait for our playing partners to hit before moving to our own ball, every round will take well over 4 hours. It is rude to be in the line of your playing partners but I am not standing or sitting and waiting for them to hit, especially if am not in their line. You can’t expect people to stand or sit and wait on you to hit a second after a 100 yard drive or we will all be on the course forever. If they put themselves in harms way, let them know and hit away. Buyer beware and if you buzz the tower, maybe they will get the point. I just can’t subscribe to waiting to move to my ball until everyone has hit, way to many slow players out there. I also imagine they are usually clueless that they are in your line, so speak up and let them know. Most will apologize and move.
 Message #98756 - This was a reply to message #98755
1PLUS1

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

Sunday May 2, 2021 12:46 AM
I've played many '4-hours or less' rounds over the years and jumping ahead to your ball wasn't the determining factor. 'Ready Golf' is just that: being ready when it's your turn...first one to the tee box hits first, not taking forever-and-a-day to figure out what club to use, not fiddling around with your rangefinder (especially when your ball-striking is questionable to begin with), dispensing with the plumb-bobbing and any other contrived pre-shot routine, etc. all had a greater impact upon the pace-of-play than the 'move up ahead to your ball' concept, which is not the be-all, end-all some people make it out to be.
 Message #98758 - This was a reply to message #98756
roarksown1
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Ty Webb
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bighorn Golf Club

Sunday May 2, 2021 10:30 AM
Does this dynamic look different if one player is walking and the other drives a cart?
 Message #98760 - This was a reply to message #98758
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Wolf Creek Poppy

Sunday May 2, 2021 11:12 AM
QUOTED  Does this dynamic look different if one player is walking and the other drives a cart?

Definitely could Robert. But in the situations I have experienced, I could narrow it down to a player(s) who is:

1-Oblivious that they are potentially getting in harms way by continually getting ahead of their playing partner(s) and frustrating and stressing them out by doing so. Because like Mark said, you do not want as your primary swing thought that you do not want to konk anyone in the head with an errant shot because they are needlessly in front of you.

2-They think they are playing fast and "encouraging" others to play fast by moving ahead as soon as they have hit. They often end up slowing the group down as people back off or wait for them to move out of the way.

I usually give people the benefit of the doubt on these type examples. Harder to do with what I am about to describe. And I experienced this in a recent round with a guy who was a nightmare on getting in front of you.

3-They seemingly just do not give a sh-t . Even after being advised multiple times, 5-6 times during 18 holes I am on the tee getting ready to swing and this guy is already 2 sets of tees in front of me, out of his cart, fiddling around getting ready for his tee shot. Dude, have you seen me play? 50 yards in front and 10 yards off to the left side leaves you about 1 second before one of my Driver pulls is potentially in your ear?

Even worse was the multiple times I am getting ready to hit approach shots from the middle of the fairway, even sand shots or chips by the green... and this guy decides that he needs to play first, and is playing a shot anywhere from right in front of you to 25+ yards in front of you, directly in your line of play. And line of sight or shadows? Yeah right... and carrying it out further. Do you think this guy would have even considered raking a trap or repairing a ball mark? That evidently was for others to do... I have my own fair share of idiosyncrasies that can/could annoy others, so I usually have a great deal of tolerance for others idiosyncrasies. However, that guy was a one and done group partner of mine. I'll change groups or just not play before going through that bull sh-t again.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #98767 - This was a reply to message #98760
zachary

Favorite Golfer:
    Paul Goydos
Favorite Golf Course:
    Industry Hills

Sunday May 2, 2021 12:16 PM
Nick, that guy sounds like a joy to play golf with. Idiots that don’t have common sense are hard to teach, until he takes a ball to the ear or off his cart, a foot from where he is standing. That might be a case of, “go ahead and finish the hole and don’t wait for me on the next tee, please” kind of playing partner
 Message #98768 - This was a reply to message #98767
Itslikeimsayin

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Sunday May 2, 2021 12:29 PM
QUOTED  Does this dynamic look different if one player is walking and the other drives a cart?

Because I was thinking of cart-related incidents, that's how I phrased it. But I probably should've said:

It's still bad etiquette to proceed ahead of your playing partners unless you're considerably off to the side, right?

Obviously when walking alongside riders, there's a feeling that you don't want to hold up the rest of the group, so you might proceed ahead some, but I still think you need to be aware of where your playing partners are and stay out of their line.
 Message #98770 - This was a reply to message #98760

Listing 1 to 10 of 10 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]