Discussions in General Golf Discussions
Moderated By JohnnyGK, ringworld

Forums
Golfing
General Golf Discussions
Do you warm up before a round of golf?
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: Do you warm up before a round of golf?

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 11 to 20 of 49 Replies

PAGES: 5 1 2 3 4 5
DarkHorse
RE: Do you warm up before a round of golf?

Favorite Golfer:
    Tiger Woods, Mike Weir
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rancho, Rustic Canyon

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday September 4, 2014 11:00 AM
From a long time lurker

I don't want to waste any good shots on the range. I will generally take a couple of smooth swings after loosening up the body, but I have found that when I go to the range and hit balls, I get to caught up on my last shots with each club and take that to the course with me.

The only time when this hurts me is when I use an iron off the tee (Harbor Park and Elkins Ranch). My tee shot with a 4-iron can be either real good or extra chunky, which can get me curious looks off the tee box until I am able to redeem myself at the 2nd hole.
 Message #65631 - This was a reply to message #65598
Itslikeimsayin
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Thursday September 4, 2014 11:19 AM
I just remembered one time a course had one of those warm-up swing trainer things that looks sort of like a giant dart (the feather end) or two oars fused together sitting on the first tee for people to use. It messed up my swing so bad I got shivers every time I ever saw one of those again!
 Message #65633 - This was a reply to message #65631
SCGolf

Favorite Golfer:
    Angelo Erikson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Southern Hills

Thursday September 4, 2014 1:50 PM
After coaching HS golf for a number of years (and we're running to the tee box). I've taught our 1st group to make very good use of their time.

My routine would be:
chipping around a practice green - even if there's a "no chipping sign." To me, the sign means no chipping onto the green. I'm seeing the ball and feeling the ball. I'll hit 4 putts from 6' uphill (of course, they all go in). Lag a few until I'm comfortable with the speed of the greens (which is normally 4-5 putts). I'll take my driver and gapper. 2-3 drives just getting a ball in play. 2-3 stock gap wedges and 2-3 low spinners... Should only take me 4 mins, total. In my head, I already know how I'm going to play the 1st hole

FIGHT ON!!!
 Message #65636 - This was a reply to message #65598
Kahoutek

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack Nicklaus
Favorite Golf Course:
    Santa Anita / Goose Creek

Friday September 5, 2014 9:31 PM
I really have to take at least a few shots on the range, even if it means pulling out some beatup balls from my bag and "donating" them to the range. I've had a golf-related wrist injury before (stupid tree roots!), and I need at least a few 8-iron half-shots to warm up my hands. Or else, a full-swinging driver on the first tee can really STING the bejeesus out of me. A practice chipping green works nicely as well if I can do some 30-yd flop shots.

On the other hand, I don't like to hit more than 25-30 shots to warm-up, else I get too tired hitting shot after shot. I take a look at the scorecard, pull out the irons I'll need on the par 3s, and try and get 3-5 shots with each of those clubs. Then driver for 5-7 shots (with the nicest, shiniest of the range balls), and then finish up with some 100-yard wedge or 50-yd SW pitches (with the really old ratty range balls).

I like to take a few strokes on the practice putting green, nice long 25+ footers if possible, or even just watch other people putt to get a feel for the speed of the greens.

Stretching, if none of this is possible. Back, neck, shoulders, hamstrings. I have to often remind myself to stretch my ankles, or else rolling over that left ankle on the follow-through can really feel painful and awkward when my body is cold.
 Message #65658 - This was a reply to message #65636
weber2323
SoCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    David Duval
Favorite Golf Course:
    La Jolla Country Club

Friday September 5, 2014 10:02 PM
It certainly sounds like a good idea the night before but then the alarm goes off and the snooze button looks sooo good.
 Message #65660 - This was a reply to message #65658
addictedtugolf

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday September 5, 2014 11:40 PM
QUOTED ...I take a look at the scorecard, pull out the irons I'll need on the par 3s, and try and get 3-5 shots with each of those clubs...

Highly recommend as well....then when the time comes to the PAR 3, you already have a feel for what club to hit...

~ATG~
"What's behind me.....is behind me". The original Cannonball Run
 Message #65661 - This was a reply to message #65658
Nickesquire

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Maderas Olivas

Friday September 5, 2014 11:47 PM
The practice putting green is my #1 priority if pressed for time. Light stretching of upper and lower body, then a few practice swings. The above would be EVERY round.

In a perfect world, adding in the following works for me. First, some intermediate chips of 10-30 yards is great for muscle memory and just getting loose.

What I HATE to do is an entire bucket of balls. Noel made an excellent point, there is a HUGE difference in practice and warming up. If I have been playing regularly, a 1/2 dozen 3/4 to full swings should be enough to get loose. If it has been awhile, maybe a dozen swings.

The LAST thing I want to do is work on something new on the range right before a round.

"Warming up" is a term of art. Most have focused on the physical aspect. I personally think it is equally important to warm up mentally. How is the ball flying today? Watching putts go into the hole creates a proper mental image to take to the course. Thinking about basics like grip, grip pressure, alignment and stance cannot be understated in my opinion. Days I am mentally into my round are usually more important to scoring well than days I am completely loose but thinking about other things on the golf course.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #65662 - This was a reply to message #65660
thingstodo
SoCal Community Staff

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil and Boo Weekly
Favorite Golf Course:
    Cypress Ridge

Saturday September 6, 2014 11:32 AM
Rarely warm up ,but on GK events it is nice to hit balls for free and I get a lot out of it.
Typically get to the first hole, take three or four swings and go. Then I will make the 'it takes me til the fourth hole to get the kinks out excuse' After that if I make a bad swing, I just suck.
 Message #65667 - This was a reply to message #65662
Williammbrooks

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Saturday September 20, 2014 4:43 AM
I used do some easy stretching exercises before teeing off: torso rotations, leg kicks and jumping jacks. This will help me to warm up quickly. So you can try this to getting warm before teeing off. If you need any kind of writing helps then you can use this best advice for making your writing works easy.
 Message #65917 - This was a reply to message #65598
Rat-Patrol
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Saturday September 20, 2014 7:37 AM
From the legendary Carlos Franco . . . legendary for not swing too much, just play game.

Q. When you play tomorrow what are you going to do beforehand, your warmup?

CARLOS FRANCO: I come maybe 40 minute before, I need little training in my room. I need to eat breakfast in my room, and mental important, I have good team, David Love together. It is a good pairing. I think I have a big chance to make a nice score for tomorrow.

Q. How many balls will you hit on the range?

CARLOS FRANCO: No. Tomorrow guarantee no.

Q. No balls at all?

CARLOS FRANCO: No. Today, yes, but yesterday, tournament days I know hit balls.

Q. You will just hit some putts?

CARLOS FRANCO: Chip and putt, yeah.

Q. Does anybody -- I have seen the stories about how you practice so little but do any players walk up to you -- have you gotten other players to maybe practice less because of you have what you do?

CARLOS FRANCO: I say everybody, but this is my you know, my practice, go home, I hit maybe one week and one month. Come here, I come to play golf. I say maybe I need, but I don't like it. People say sometimes Carlow no need practice. No, no, no. I say this is my training, my practice is my -- coming for the Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday I hit chip and putt and play the golf. I play the game.

Q. How long have you been doing this?

CARLOS FRANCO: Long time. I remember before I caddie as 14, 15 year old, I hit it too much. I hit many, many, and I put in my mental, I say, I practice too much and I confusing my swing. I need to hit only -- I need to try only my swing naturally. People go to practice, hit little cut, little hook, many confusing for swing is not good. I try every time my swing very simple, very natural, this is not like too much to practice.

Q. What would happen if you practiced as much as Vijay?

CARLOS FRANCO: Oh, I don't know. This guy is like -- he is like -- okay, this -- he is Vijay Singh, he hit thousand and thousand balls. It is okay. He is Vijay but it is good for me. It is okay.

Q. Do you have a swing coach that you use?

CARLOS FRANCO: No. My coach is only my mental.

http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=9299
 Message #65918 - This was a reply to message #65598

Listing 11 to 20 of 49 Replies

PAGES: 5 1 2 3 4 5

[ Community Page ]