Discussions in General Golf Discussions
Moderated By JohnnyGK, ringworld

Forums
Golfing
General Golf Discussions
Do you warm up before a round of golf?
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: Do you warm up before a round of golf?

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 51 to 60 of 62 Replies

PAGES: 7 3 4 5 6 7
1PLUS1
RE: Do you warm up before a round of golf?

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Saturday April 10, 2021 10:21 PM
Briggslaw wrote:

QUOTED 
...I hate being rushed and grew up with the adage that if you aren't early, you can't be on time.

Never heard that saying before but there's a lot of value in it. I believe that tempo and rhythm are just as integral to a good golf swing...if not more so...than the actual mechanics. Because of that point-of-view, being rushed...whether at home, on the drive to the course, or while preparing to hit the opening tee shot...can have an immensely negative impact on how you may play on that given day. Therefore, I'm in complete agreement with your regimen of allowing more than enough time to arrive at the course, get properly loosened up, and mentally prepared to play.
 Message #98510 - This was a reply to message #97020
Rat-Patrol
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Sunday April 11, 2021 3:15 AM
It takes me at least a week to warm up these days.
 Message #98512 - This was a reply to message #98510
sammy3

Favorite Golfer:
    Tommy Bolt
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble

Sunday April 11, 2021 2:31 PM
I heard that if you're on time, you're late.
 Message #98514 - This was a reply to message #98510
PokerGuy0826
GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    Freddy Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    TPC Sawgrass

Sunday April 11, 2021 4:41 PM
I typically allow at least an hour before the round to get stretched, hit a few, putt & chip. I'm 62 and need the stretching! Secondly, as stated above, I am now a firm believer in tempo and feel and not having that taken care of before I begin my round, means I'm simply hoping things go right on the first few holes. For me at least, there are only so many opportunities to make up for a bad shot here and there & not giving myself the best chance from the outset just puts me behind the 8 ball from the start.
Finally, I was raised that everyones time is important and that I shouldn't take advantage of others by being late. It gets me in trouble occasionally, as I'm not very tolerant of people who are consistently late and wasting my time, but I've also learned to just go with the flow.
 Message #98517 - This was a reply to message #65598
msherer260

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday April 21, 2021 8:05 PM
If your as old as I am and have read a zillion golf books and watch golf on TV, you bet I have to hit about 20 balls before a round just to figure out who's swing I have that day. It works great for about 6 holes before all that crap in my head takes back over for about 6 holes then when I give up I am OK again for the last 6 holes....if we could only it a few range balls between the 9th and tenth hole I think I could get back to a single digit...
 Message #98645 - This was a reply to message #98517
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack Freddie Tiger Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Wolf Creek Poppy

Wednesday April 28, 2021 12:39 PM
QUOTED  I have to hit about 20 balls before a round just to figure out who's swing I have that day.

Can really relate to that comment msherer260. I also find that as I'm getting older that what used to be okay to get loose is no longer adequate to get loose. When I was younger, a few swings and I was ready to go. As I aged, it was more than a few swings. Now, somedays I never really feel like I'm loose even after playing 18 holes.

I have been advised to start preparing by stretching the night before I play. Will try that and see how it works, because just heading to the course with little preparation beforehand no longer cuts it for me.

Light stretching afterward (before I go to bed) also seems to assist me with keeping any next day soreness or stiffness to a minimum.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #98727 - This was a reply to message #98645
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack Freddie Tiger Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Wolf Creek Poppy

Wednesday April 28, 2021 12:48 PM
QUOTED  I believe that tempo and rhythm are just as integral to a good golf swing...if not more so...than the actual mechanics. Because of that point-of-view, being rushed...whether at home, on the drive to the course, or while preparing to hit the opening tee shot...can have an immensely negative impact on how you may play on that given day.

Spot on with me Jeff.

On rare days, I can take a full club and putter back deliberately consistently on my intended line and the touch/tempo is there. Not surprisingly, I usually play better than average those days.

Other days, no matter how hard I try? Taking the club back straight in a deliberate manner that does not feel jerky? Just cannot consistently do it.

Feeling rushed? Playing with like minded playing partners assists everyone's comfort level and likely makes for a better day on the course for all involved.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #98728 - This was a reply to message #98510
1PLUS1

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

Wednesday April 28, 2021 7:34 PM
Nickesquire wrote:

QUOTED 
Playing with like-minded playing partners assists everyone's comfort level and likely makes for a better day on the course for all involved.

Good point...provided you have that luxury or happen to benefit from 'the luck of the draw'. In many cases, it's possible to settle on some sort of compromise whereby a little give-and-take creates a blend where the variation in playing styles can successfully mesh together, with nary an issue. However, get a couple of players who reside on opposite sides of the spectrum...one excrutiatingly slow and deliberate, the other training for the 100-yard dash...and it's guaranteed that one player, or both, will be completely thrown off his/her rhythm and game.
 Message #98731 - This was a reply to message #98728
nehasharmaji

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Tuesday May 18, 2021 6:06 AM
Spammer Removed

[[Edited by JohnnyGK on Tuesday May 18, 2021 7:52 AM]]
 Message #98941 - This was a reply to message #98940
noeldaof
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Tuesday May 18, 2021 10:12 AM
QUOTED  Good point...provided you have that luxury or happen to benefit from 'the luck of the draw'. In many cases, it's possible to settle on some sort of compromise whereby a little give-and-take creates a blend where the variation in playing styles can successfully mesh together, with nary an issue. However, get a couple of players who reside on opposite sides of the spectrum...one excrutiatingly slow and deliberate, the other training for the 100-yard dash...and it's guaranteed that one player, or both, will be completely thrown off his/her rhythm and game.

LOL :-) I have seen this before!!! Many years ago, at Shadow Ridge- it was our second round in a blistering summer... the kid was very nice and pleasant, but he turns to stone at address with at least 3 deliberate practice swings before addressing the ball. On the other hand, the old man was practically livid about all these routines but were comically funny to to have said, "While we're young!" LOL LOL LOL....

[[Edited by noeldaof on Tuesday May 18, 2021 10:13 AM]]
JVGA
 Message #98942 - This was a reply to message #98731

Listing 51 to 60 of 62 Replies

PAGES: 7 3 4 5 6 7

[ Community Page ]