Toughest opening hole in So Cal and why
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: Toughest opening hole in So Cal and why

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 21 to 30 of 43 Replies

PAGES: 5 1 2 3 4 5
kevbig
RE: Toughest opening hole in So Cal and why
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    Tiger Woods
Favorite Golf Course:
    Palmer Course- Turtle Bay

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday April 24, 2017 11:39 AM
Not technically So Cal but the toughest opener for me is always #1 at Monarch Dunes, although I'm sure Itslikeimsayin would vehemently disagree . Uphill dogleg left with a series of bunkers splitting the fairway. Even a good drive leaves at least 175 uphill to a mostly blind green surrounded by large mounding. Early in the morning there's usually no wind but you'll have that cool coastal air which takes about 20 yards off your shots. Afternoons are directly into a stiff breeze. Talk about a wake up call!
 Message #83453 - This was a reply to message #83449
lotrgolfer48

GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    Jordan Spieth
Favorite Golf Course:
    Chambers Bay

Monday April 24, 2017 12:43 PM
Monarch Dunes #1 is an absolute brute and gets my vote. And if they flip the nines, MD still gets my vote.
 Message #83454 - This was a reply to message #83453
jhwang

Favorite Golfer:
    Ben Hogan, KJ Choi
Favorite Golf Course:
    One I'm playing at

Monday April 24, 2017 8:10 PM
Oak Quarry when it's gusty, especially when it's blowing into your face!
 Message #83467 - This was a reply to message #83454
robertkpan
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    Lefty
Favorite Golf Course:
    Cascata

Monday April 24, 2017 8:25 PM
Played Coto de Caza (North) for the first time yesterday and #1 there is a tough opener. I wouldn't normally consider a par 5's as being the toughest, but this starts with a blind Tee shot (into the wind yesterday), with a semi-blind 2nd shot played into a super sloping green that demands a precision wedge.

Perhaps that hole isn't as tough after you've played it a few times, but for a newbie, it's as visually intimidating as it can get.
 Message #83468 - This was a reply to message #83419
dconnally

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated! GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Arnie
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry; Tobiano

Monday April 24, 2017 10:07 PM
QUOTED  Monarch Dunes #1 is an absolute brute and gets my vote. And if they flip the nines, MD still gets my vote.

AMEN!
Remember, we could be at work!!
 Message #83469 - This was a reply to message #83468
GDR23
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    Woods--- Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Purisma Sandpiper

Monday April 24, 2017 10:11 PM
+1 on Knollwood
Please check my websitegdrgolf instruction click here
 Message #83470 - This was a reply to message #83469
204s

Favorite Golfer:
    Max Homa
Favorite Golf Course:
    Wolf Creek

Tuesday April 25, 2017 5:28 AM
Come on, everyone knows that Shorecliffs first hole par 5, is the most gut wrenching hole in So Cal's goat track category. Concrete sloping-narrow as f%@k fairways, hillsides that don't know the word "kick" and icy greens, kills all dreams before you get started. They need a sign on the first tee that reads "all ye who enter abandon hope"
 Message #83471 - This was a reply to message #83419
sngernz

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    Bubba!
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spyglass Hill

Tuesday April 25, 2017 5:57 AM
QUOTED 
QUOTED  Monarch Dunes #1 is an absolute brute and gets my vote. And if they flip the nines, MD still gets my vote.

AMEN!

I've only played there once but I do remember having to drive my cart up the #1 fairway just to see the layout of the fairway and green location ... then I just scratched my head. Proceeded to hit my tee ball into one of those gnarly bunkers. I believe I doubled that bad boy.
QUOTED  +1 on Knollwood

Been too long since I played K-wood but if GDR23 says it's a tough hole, I believe him.
 Message #83472 - This was a reply to message #83469
kassper7
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    It varies
Favorite Golf Course:
    Wolf Creek

Tuesday April 25, 2017 8:32 AM
I'm going Knollwood as well. You have no idea what kind of game you've brought to the course that day and the first hole says - "You better bring your best stuff!". Just finding my tee shot was a small victory.

Before they switched the nines at DeBell - I would put that hole as the hardest. The barranca was easier to end up in than the OB at Knollwood. The second (and likely third) shots were a guaranteed awkward uphill lie and the green was smaller. It was a burnt cup of coffee - a bitter start to your day.
 Message #83475 - This was a reply to message #83472
140ver
GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    angel cabrera
Favorite Golf Course:
    trump scotland-GC only

Tuesday April 25, 2017 12:03 PM
Redhawk gets my vote. It's a par five, but you don't have a heck of a lot to look at from the tee and it requires you to take it over the hillside on the right to keep it in the fiarway with a draw or to take it at the trees on the left with a fade. The trees run all the way down the left side through the dry creek. The large green presents a nice target, but it's no picnic unless you get it close.
 Message #83479 - This was a reply to message #83475

Listing 21 to 30 of 43 Replies

PAGES: 5 1 2 3 4 5

[ Community Page ]