Eagle putts???
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Freddie, Tiger
Favorite Golf Course:
    Maderas Olivas Sherwood

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday December 31, 2018 12:51 PM
Chevelle's first eagle thread got me to thinking about eagle putts.

Do you treat an eagle putt the same as any other putt?

On any relatively close putt (say within 15') that doesn't have much break I am thinking about making it. Get it to the hole but don't get so bold that you will likely 3 putt if you miss. No difference in my thinking whether it's for eagle or double bogey.

Where my thinking does change slightly is on putts outside the range where I could expect to hole frequently. While the goal is to cozy it up to the hole for a likely 2 putt, I would much rather go 3' by than be 3' short. Mentally, I feel like that even if I get a 2 putt birdie out of the hole, that I have wasted an eagle opportunity if I did not at least get the eagle putt to the hole.

My first eagle was on a short par 5 on my old home course in N.C. as a teenager. Good drive, rolled a 3 wood to the back fringe, chipped in with a 7 iron from maybe 15'. Remember every shot vividly. Funny thing was, it did not dawn on me until I was walking off the green that it was an eagle. I remember stopping and counting the shots several times, making sure it was actually a 3.

2nd eagle was holing a 4 wood into the sun on a par 4, also as a teenager. Had no idea it went in until we got to the green, saw no ball and the group ahead of us on the next tee wanted to know whose ball went in.

Unfortunately, I do not remember my first putt made for an eagle.

Personally, I feel like I DO place more pressure on myself for eagle putts. Especially as I get shorter/older and they are less frequent than they used to be. I remember numerous opportunities over the years inside 10' and cannot off the top of my head remember making a single one. Most of the eagle putts I remember making were in the 15' to 30' range.

Another strange thing about eagles for me is that they seem to come in bunches, with long dry spells in between. Hole in ones in back to back rounds a few years back. Had my only 2 eagles this year in the same week last spring.

How do you treat eagle putts?
The goal is long and straight! But on the many times I cannot seem to hit them straight, I at least want to hit them long!
 Message #90107
sngernz
RE: Eagle putts???

Favorite Golfer:
    Bubba!
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spyglass Hill

Wednesday January 2, 2019 1:02 PM
Agree, Nick, never leave an eagle putt short ... never ever. Similar to when going for bogey because if I miss I can only post a double anyway (unless it's match play and we're both sucking on the same hole). For me, I average 2-3 a year and the majority has to be on reachable par 5's.

The easy remedy is to just knock it in the hole from the fairway (ie. on a par 4), that way you don't have to worry about the putt
 Message #90128 - This was a reply to message #90107
AndrewZ28
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Ben Hogan
Favorite Golf Course:
    La Purisima

Wednesday January 2, 2019 2:04 PM
Long putts, no matter what they're for, I do the same thing. Imagine a 3-4 foot hole and try to end up there. I don't even care if a (rare) eagle putt comes up short as long as it's in that circle. Rather have a 3 footer for birdie short of the hole then get crazy and have a 10 footer coming back because I "had to get an eagle putt to the hole".
 Message #90130 - This was a reply to message #90128
AndrewZ28
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Ben Hogan
Favorite Golf Course:
    La Purisima

Wednesday January 2, 2019 2:04 PM
Long putts, no matter what they're for, I do the same thing. Imagine a 3-4 foot hole and try to end up there. I don't even care if a (rare) eagle putt comes up short as long as it's in that circle. Rather have a 3 footer for birdie short of the hole then get crazy and have a 10 footer coming back because I "had to get an eagle putt to the hole".
 Message #90131 - This was a reply to message #90128
Itslikeimsayin

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Wednesday January 2, 2019 11:18 PM
I also believe in the adage "Never leave an eagle putt short." I probably put a little extra effort into the read, too. I agree with Nick they tend to come in bunches. I haven't had one for a couple years now, and that was a hole-out from the fairway.
 Message #90139 - This was a reply to message #90131
Deepsea14

Favorite Golfer:
    Dad and his Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    The one I'm playing

Thursday January 3, 2019 8:48 AM
With even the common birdie getting more scarce playing golf now a days. I can't recall making an eagle putt although I hit an approach which my partner converted playing alternate shot format almost a decade ago.

An eagle from 165yds on a 5 par and a couple aces in my historical scoring archive. These days I aim for the rarer albatross (2 on a 5) when I have the opportunity. (ie. Great drive on a shorter 5 / 2 or 3 times a year of once a week play). Therefore the eagle for me is almost extinct on the golf course scorecard. Circumstances and strategy can sometimes dictate your opportunity for an eagle putt. For example, tournament format, stroke play vs match, or a casual round with your pals. Side bet$. Risk vs. reward.

Anyone ever get close to a condor? Ace on a par 5. The rarest and largest of the golf avian.

Calm nerves and a swing or stroke with purpose, keep to the routine is my strategy when given the chance. Helps to have some experience. Like a tour pro the first one can be the most difficult.

[[Edited by Deepsea14 on Friday January 4, 2019 6:54 AM]]
 Message #90140 - This was a reply to message #90139
SBogey

SoCal Community Staff

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil/Day/
Favorite Golf Course:
    Eagle Falls

Thursday January 3, 2019 9:01 AM
Wow I had never even heard of a condor! Has it ever been done? I made 1 eagle putt but from just off the green. Had an opportunity at Morongo a few years back when I reached a par 5 in 2 by accident. Had a downhill putt and Addictedtogolf was playing with us. He kept saying "Don't leave it short!" but the downhill got in my head and of course left it short. Made the birdie but it was only a 10 foot putt! One I wish I could have back!
 Message #90142 - This was a reply to message #90140
24hourgolf

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday January 3, 2019 10:58 AM
QUOTED  The easy remedy is to just knock it in the hole from the fairway (ie. on a par 4), that

correct. I have had 4 over my golfing life. Only one was putted.
 Message #90144 - This was a reply to message #90128
Deepsea14

Favorite Golfer:
    Dad and his Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    The one I'm playing

Friday January 4, 2019 7:05 AM
QUOTED  Wow I had never even heard of a condor! Has it ever been done?

from pga.com website

A condor

First of all, have you ever even heard of a condor? We're not talking about the bird -- a vulture -- but the absolute rarest shot in golf. It's a "1" on a par 5, which believe it or not, has actually been done.

According to www.golf.co.uk, there have been four condors recorded -- all ones on par 5s, but never a "2" on a rare par 6.

The first occurred in 1962, when Larry Bruce drove into the hole over a stand of trees on the 480-yard dogleg right par-5 fifth hole at Hope Country Club in Arkansas, USA.

Another condor was achieved by "cutting the corner" of a dogleg par-5 by Shaun Lynch at Teign Valley Golf Club in Christow, England, in 1995, on the 496-yard 17th. Lynch aimed straight at the green with a 3-iron, clearing a 20-foot-high hedge and hitting a downslope on the other side, which allowed his ball to roll down to the green and into the hole.

A condor was scored without cutting over a dogleg by Mike Crean at Green Valley Ranch Golf Club in Denver, Colorado, in 2002, when he holed his drive at the 517 yard par-5 9th. This is longest hole in one on record, although it was of course aided by the altitude and thin air of 'mile-high' Denver.

The most recent condor was achieved in Australia by 16-year-old Jack Bartlett on the 467 metre par-5 17th at Royal Wentworth Falls Country Club, NSW, Australia, on November 3, 2007.

A condor is so uncommon in golf that bookmakers don't even offer odds on such a feat.

So how did "condor" become a part of golf lingo? It's believed that the only explanation is a continuation of the 'bird' theme for under-par scores with the size of the bird getting bigger as the score gets lower, hence "birdie," "eagle," "albatross," "condor."
 Message #90153 - This was a reply to message #90144
sdscratchorbust

Favorite Golfer:
    Pat Perez
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pasatiempo

Saturday January 5, 2019 6:50 AM
That's funny. Most of my eagles are holed out sand shots, pitches on par 5's. I haven't had a putt one in awhile.

I get a few of the tap in eagles when you play some of the shorter courses and go driver like 8 iron and stick one. But I dont really count those.

Nothing like an eagle when you go driver, roll a 3 wood on, and bang a deep putt. Those are the funnest. Only had 1 or 2 of them.
 Message #90164 - This was a reply to message #90144

Listing 1 to 10 of 11 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]