Diamonds in the rough
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: Diamonds in the rough

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 10 of 21 Replies

PAGES: 3 1 2 3
roarksown1
Diamonds in the rough
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Ty Webb
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bighorn Golf Club

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday January 12, 2020 3:55 PM
I recently played Los Amigos yet again and I am always fascinated by the intricacy and difficulty of the well-designed par 4 16th hole. Los Amigos is never going to be a course that people associate with anything other than parkland, flat, basic golf. And that's fine. But the 16th is bizarrely out of place amongst all these averagely-designed holes.

The tee shot requires a perfect distance for an optimal shot at the green. If you go too long, a stream, connected to the lake that is waiting to grab any pulls on the left off the tee, will gobble you up. If you're too far right, the already long approach is now right around 190-200 yards with trees left and yet another stream running parallel to the fairway on the right that will snatch anything hit that direction. Oh yeah, there are also thick trees on the right side and straw/mulch. And even if you hit a good tee shot, there are two thin palm trees if you're slightly short of the ideal 230-240 yard drive just in front of the bridge entrance on the right side.

The green is elevated and severely sloped. Conditions are always another matter, but pretending they were perfect, this is an unbelievably tough, yet very rewarding hole when you get it right (which I've only done two or three times in all my visits). So it got me wondering ...

Which are the best single holes or ones that stand out and could be at home on any really good country club in the area, but belong to the mid-lower-tier of municipal tracks? I believe that the 16th at Los Amigos would be a winner at any course in SoCal. There are plenty of 'budget' golf courses out there which no one is going to give a GK '10' rating anytime soon, but surely some individual holes on those courses really buck the trend and perhaps deserve a better home. Which are yours?
 Message #93172
Itslikeimsayin
RE: Diamonds in the rough
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Sunday January 12, 2020 6:19 PM
Having never played it (at least that I recall), I agree it sounds like a very difficult hole that would be rewarding to play well, but it also sounds like a one-dimensional hole. Are you praising it as a good hole or just surprised at its complexity relative to the rest of the course?
 Message #93179 - This was a reply to message #93172
Golpher

Favorite Golfer:
    B Koepka
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rams Hill

Sunday January 12, 2020 7:35 PM
I once played with Ricky, an employee of the course (not sure he still works there), but he hit his tee shot with a high draw over the trees on the opposite side of the lake. He was left with a short chip to the green. He might not think it's a difficult hole, but I also love/hate it. The last 3 holes at Los Amigos are potential round killers.
 Message #93180 - This was a reply to message #93172
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Poppy Maderas

Sunday January 12, 2020 8:51 PM
Which are the best single holes or ones that stand out and could be at home on any really good country club in the area, but belong to the mid-lower-tier of municipal tracks?

#17 @ Elkins Ranch and is a long, straight, difficult par 4 with an elevated tee. Much tougher and more picturesque than the average par 4 @ Elkins.
Same could be said for #16 @ Buenaventura and #13 @ Morro Bay.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #93181 - This was a reply to message #93172
roarksown1
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Ty Webb
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bighorn Golf Club

Sunday January 12, 2020 9:50 PM
QUOTED  Having never played it (at least that I recall), I agree it sounds like a very difficult hole that would be rewarding to play well, but it also sounds like a one-dimensional hole. Are you praising it as a good hole or just surprised at its complexity relative to the rest of the course?

Both? I think it's a good hole because most of the others on the course are not that penal if you spray it. This one is not. At all. And that pucker factor is what makes it stand out so much.

QUOTED  I once played with Ricky, an employee of the course (not sure he still works there), but he hit his tee shot with a high draw over the trees on the opposite side of the lake. He was left with a short chip to the green. He might not think it's a difficult hole, but I also love/hate it. The last 3 holes at Los Amigos are potential round killers.

Wow, never even considered that option. You're taking a big risk to get that all correct with carry distance to avoid the water, plus all of the trees you have to actively avoid along the way. Better hit that one square! And yes, you're absolutely right that the last three holes at Los Amigos are the true tests of that course. I was once 5 or 6 over after a birdie on 15, then ended up going +10 the last three holes. Round 'killed' as you so eloquently put it!
 Message #93182 - This was a reply to message #93179
roarksown1

Favorite Golfer:
    Ty Webb
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bighorn Golf Club

Monday January 13, 2020 9:15 AM
QUOTED  #17 @ Elkins Ranch and is a long, straight, difficult par 4 with an elevated tee. Much tougher and more picturesque than the average par 4 @ Elkins.
Same could be said for #16 @ Buenaventura and #13 @ Morro Bay.

Unfortunately I have not yet played any of those three courses, so now I have a homework assignment!
 Message #93183 - This was a reply to message #93181
24hourgolf
SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday January 13, 2020 11:46 AM
# 16 at Montebello. Par 3. 155 Black/Blue. 137 White. But there is water all the way to the an elevated green. The green is a long right to left green. Very little bailout area to the right of the green. If you use the bailout area you can have a chip/putt of 50 to 100 feet. And if the pin is in the back on the left or in the middle, the water is 100% in play. I think it is a great Par 3 just because the water is staring you in the face and you KNOW you cannot be short. And I do think it plays longer than it looks because of the elevated green. And really tough if the wind is in your face. It would be a great hole on any course IMO and especially if it is one of the last 4 holes to play and you need to break 80 or win a match.
 Message #93186 - This was a reply to message #93172
roarksown1

Favorite Golfer:
    Ty Webb
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bighorn Golf Club

Monday January 13, 2020 12:16 PM
QUOTED  # 16 at Montebello. Par 3. 155 Black/Blue. 137 White. But there is water all the way to the an elevated green. The green is a long right to left green. Very little bailout area to the right of the green. If you use the bailout area you can have a chip/putt of 50 to 100 feet. And if the pin is in the back on the left or in the middle, the water is 100% in play. I think it is a great Par 3 just because the water is staring you in the face and you KNOW you cannot be short. And I do think it plays longer than it looks because of the elevated green. And really tough if the wind is in your face. It would be a great hole on any course IMO and especially if it is one of the last 4 holes to play and you need to break 80 or win a match.

Definitely a great call. It's a very picturesque hole but really puts some fear into you because it's do or die. And even pitching back up from the downslope if you go long and safe is a bit scary as you can roll it right back into the water if you thin it just a bit. I'm also a fan of Montebello's 10th hole.
 Message #93187 - This was a reply to message #93186
Itslikeimsayin
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Monday January 13, 2020 2:09 PM
QUOTED  Unfortunately I have not yet played any of those three courses, so now I have a homework assignment!

Not to negate Nick's point, but I love the par-4 12th, 13th, 14th and 15th at Elkins, too. You should definitely play it, Rob. I think it's a really fun course, except for a bad hole or two on the front.
 Message #93188 - This was a reply to message #93183
roarksown1

Favorite Golfer:
    Ty Webb
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bighorn Golf Club

Monday January 13, 2020 2:33 PM
QUOTED  Not to negate Nick's point, but I love the par-4 12th, 13th, 14th and 15th at Elkins, too. You should definitely play it, Rob. I think it's a really fun course, except for a bad hole or two on the front.

It's at or near top of my list of unplayed SoCal courses, along with Ojai Valley Inn and Soule Park, and Olivas Links. Can you say GK Plays at Elkins?!?
 Message #93189 - This was a reply to message #93188

Listing 1 to 10 of 21 Replies

PAGES: 3 1 2 3

[ Community Page ]