RE: Diamonds in the rough
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday January 13, 2020 2:54 PM
It's a solid #4 of those 4, but still worthy of checking out.
 Message #93190 - This was a reply to message #93189
24hourgolf
SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday January 13, 2020 3:16 PM
QUOTED  I'm also a fan of Montebello's 10th hole

Me too. Had an eagle on that hole last year. But that hole is scary. Water to the front, right and back of the green. High rough to the left of it. If you can drive the ball long down the left side of the fairway, it becomes a much easier hole. You need to be on the flat of the fairway and not have a downhill 2nd shot.
 Message #93191 - This was a reply to message #93187
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Poppy Maderas

Monday January 13, 2020 6:14 PM
QUOTED  I love the par-4 12th, 13th, 14th and 15th at Elkins, too.

Agree Mark. 12/13/14 are all fun par 4's. But 15/17 @ Elkins are two of the tougher consecutive par 4's that I play on any course. I guarantee you I can count on a couple of fingers the times over the years I recorded 4's on both in the same round.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #93193 - This was a reply to message #93188
roarksown1
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Ty Webb
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bighorn Golf Club

Thursday January 16, 2020 8:27 AM
Another addition I would like to add would be #9 at Rio Hondo. You can hit driver if your fade is working but if you go left more than 200 yards or so, it's splash time. That lake runs from that point all the way down the left side of a narrow fairway to the green, and if you lay up before that lake to take it out of play, it's a 185-200 yard shot to the green (with the parking lot right behind it as well so you can't go long). Down the right hand side are some treacherous bunkers and OB. Not for the feint of heart this hole!

[[Edited by roarksown1 on Thursday January 16, 2020 8:28 AM]]
 Message #93209 - This was a reply to message #93193
mpisarski01
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    John Daly & Anyone I beat
Favorite Golf Course:
    Griz. Ranch & Chambers

Thursday January 16, 2020 10:31 AM
Hole **7** on Costa Mesa CC Los Lagos. Long Par three with water on the right. Its a nice hole on a mediocre course.

You could also say hole 8 on the Mesa Linda Course. Short par three over water with a green with no depth and sand behind it.

Corrected

[[Edited by mpisarski01 on Friday January 17, 2020 11:02 AM]]
 Message #93210 - This was a reply to message #93172
sbarajasjr
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Lee Trevino
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spyglass & Pasatiempo

Thursday January 16, 2020 8:52 PM
Great topic Rob... I have a number of great holes at tracks that won't reach destination status any time soon (even as some may disagree, I am going with the dictionary definition of destination course/track for this topic.)

#16 at Balboa is a great hole. Par 5 that starts with a narrow landing area for your drive (OB right, canyon left) and then only gets narrower the closer you get to the hole. It can play as long as 555 yards and you feel every bit of it from the back tees. Have yet to see someone play from the tips and have an eagle try, but I have seen plenty of hard-headed men put up a snowman!

#17 at Mission Trails is one of the most intriguing par 3's in San Diego. The hole can play from 217 to 132 yards depending on the tee box and the hole is very narrow when the maintenance crew forget to trim the trees/bushes (check out the photo sixpez posted on the course page).

#3 (Ranch) at Steele Canyon is a hole every course would love to have. Dramatic tee shot off the cliff with a 50-70 foot drop. Even a mediocre drive only leaves a short iron in on this 400 yard par 4. It's the prototypical signature hole with a large drop off.

#4 at Sycuan Golf Resort (Willow Glen) is a hole every golfer loves to hate and hates to love. 310 yard par 4 with peninsula green that begs long hitters to try and stupidly go for it (and yes it is possible to land on the dance floor from the tees elevated 40-50 feet.) A layup still tests nerves with so much water around and you have to gauge your layup right as in the summer the grass gets crispy and a long iron can run right into the water.
 Message #93213 - This was a reply to message #93172
roarksown1
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Ty Webb
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bighorn Golf Club

Friday January 17, 2020 10:16 AM
QUOTED  Hole 15 on Costa Mesa CC Los Lagos. Long Par three with water on the right. Its a nice hole on a mediocre course.

Hey Matt, are you sure on this one? I only played Los Lagos once and looked up this hole but there's no water on the right? It's a basic par 3 with the fairway of the 14th hole to the right? Or am I crazy?

QUOTED  Great topic Rob... I have a number of great holes at tracks that won't reach destination status any time soon (even as some may disagree, I am going with the dictionary definition of destination course/track for this topic.)

#16 at Balboa is a great hole. Par 5 that starts with a narrow landing area for your drive (OB right, canyon left) and then only gets narrower the closer you get to the hole. It can play as long as 555 yards and you feel every bit of it from the back tees. Have yet to see someone play from the tips and have an eagle try, but I have seen plenty of hard-headed men put up a snowman!

Thanks Sal ... unfortunately not being from So SoCal I've only played Balboa Park of the holes/courses you mentioned - but now I'm more excited to try those out! And hell yes to the #16 at BP - that's one 'pucker-up' par 5 if ever there was one. Precision only or you're off in some mayhem either side of that tight fairway. Great views though up there and nice to follow that up with the super cool, super downhill par 3 17th which is a wild one.
 Message #93215 - This was a reply to message #93210
Itslikeimsayin
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Friday January 17, 2020 10:57 AM
I thought the same thing, Rob, regarding Los Lagos. I think Matt was thinking of number 7, not 15.
 Message #93216 - This was a reply to message #93215
mpisarski01
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    John Daly & Anyone I beat
Favorite Golf Course:
    Griz. Ranch & Chambers

Friday January 17, 2020 11:03 AM
QUOTED  Hey Matt, are you sure on this one?

QUOTED  regarding Los Lagos. I think Matt was thinking of number 7, not 15.

You are correct. You would think a course I have played 40+ times and live less than a mile from I'd remember the hole numbers haha.
 Message #93217 - This was a reply to message #93216
1PLUS1

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

Friday January 17, 2020 4:09 PM
[Posted by sbarajasjr on 02.16.2020 8:52pm]

QUOTED  #3 (Ranch) @ Steele Canyon is a hole every course would love to have. Dramatic tee shot off the cliff with a 50-70 foot drop. Even a mediocre drive only leaves a short iron on this 400 yard Par 4. It's the prototypical signature hole with a large drop off.

Come on Sal...man up!

Play the hole in its' entirety...from the back tee...at 446 yards. The shorter tee is a nice change of pace but nowhere near as demanding a hole. From the blues, you basically get the same dramatic tee shot but oh-so-much-more of a challenge. The approach to the slightly raised green...almost always from a lie where the ball is above your feet...is compounded by the greenside trap on the left and no visual feel for the depth of the green. Looks like a simple little hole but Gary Player threw some neat nuances into the design.

And as far as #4 at Willow Glen is concerned, I always hit my tee shot as far left as I can, leaving a full wedge shot into the green. Placing it close to the water's edge....especially with a front pin position...is asking for trouble, particularly when turf conditions are a bit dicey. Great little hole though...one that can sucker you into making a fool of yourself should you get reckless.

[[Edited by 1PLUS1 on Friday January 17, 2020 4:13 PM]]
 Message #93220 - This was a reply to message #93213

Listing 11 to 20 of 21 Replies

PAGES: 3 1 2 3

[ Community Page ]