Discussions in General Golf Discussions
Moderated By JohnnyGK, ringworld

Forums
Golfing
General Golf Discussions
Old Clubs. How old is the oldest club in your ...
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: Old Clubs. How old is the oldest club in your bag?

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 11 to 20 of 30 Replies

PAGES: 3 1 2 3
NutNButCup
RE: Old Clubs. How old is the oldest club in your bag?
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Greg Norman
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Valley

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday February 24, 2020 2:57 PM
2009 Scotty Cameron Studio Select 2.6. TM Burner Bubble. I Think I have a couple of those in my Garage Museum.
 Message #93700 - This was a reply to message #93699
t8fish
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    My Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    Wykagyl GC

Monday February 24, 2020 3:33 PM
Now that I think of it, I'm currently using the sand wedge from my Spalding Executives set. Not sure if it is from the original set I bought new around 1974 or part of a second-hand set I bought later to fill in the clubs lost or yet to be lost.

Recently playing as a single in a random foursome at Rancho Park, the elderly gent in the group pulled me aside on the ninth hole to show me he was carrying the same model Spalding sand wedge.

I only retired the full set in 2008.
 Message #93701 - This was a reply to message #93700
divotnjay
SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack Nicklaus
Favorite Golf Course:
    Torrey Pines South

Monday February 24, 2020 3:41 PM
Impressive with the Spalding Executive sand wedge!! That thing is a relic. I still have original Callaway Steelhead 3 and 4 woods, steel shafts, stiff flex. Absolutely love them!!! Plus I have an original Odyssey putter with black insert in my bag. I can't putt, though. Definitely see a change in putter happening this year once I have time to focus on my putting. I also play with my old 2000 Ben Hogan Apex irons quite a bit. They are sweet irons.
 Message #93702 - This was a reply to message #93701
Ganmando

Favorite Golfer:
    Fuzzy Zoeller
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rancho Las Palmas

Monday February 24, 2020 4:03 PM
I have a Lynx Sandwedge that is at least 40+ years old; was my grandfather’s and made my first regulation birdie on #11 at Alondra with it when I was 13 (55 now).

Still in my bag even though groves are worn down…still gets the job done!!

[[Edited by Ganmando on Monday February 24, 2020 4:04 PM]]
 Message #93703 - This was a reply to message #93683
CPennbo

Community Director/Women

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Eagle Falls/Balboa

Monday February 24, 2020 7:27 PM
My MacGregor blade putter, circa somewhere around 1965. I will have it for the rest of my life. It's heavy enough that only a small motion is required therefore you won't pull long puts off true. Oh, and it works great as a sand wedge sometimes too!! LOL

Used to carry a 1930s-40s mahogany 3wood too. BEST club for getting out of wet rough. I don't carry it much anymore because I tend to stay OUT of the rough as much as possible!!
New Year's Resolution- HAVE MORE FUN, DO MORE, SEE MORE, LAUGH MORE!
 Message #93707 - This was a reply to message #93703
1PLUS1

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

Tuesday February 25, 2020 7:33 PM
Despite its' age (mid-60s vintage), this club still gets some action when conditions warrant it: the original Ben Hogan Sure-Out sand wedge. 56 degrees of loft, very low bounce, lightweight Apex shaft, and Neumann wrapped leather grip. It may look like a Model T next to today's offerings but still manages to get the job done. Swing-weighted at a hefty D-7, the wide flange makes it the ideal choice out of thick greenside rough or baked hardpan; the ball just floats into the air and settles down like a marshmallow.

Message #93712 - This was a reply to message #93683
Alex326
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach

Wednesday February 26, 2020 8:47 PM
MY oldest club that I still use, is 53 years old... My foot wedge!!
 Message #93719 - This was a reply to message #93712
t8fish
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    My Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    Wykagyl GC

Wednesday February 26, 2020 10:40 PM
>> Despite its' age (mid-60s vintage), this club still gets some action when conditions warrant it: the original Ben Hogan Sure-Out sand wedge. 56 degrees of loft, very low bounce, lightweight Apex shaft, and Neumann wrapped leather grip. It may look like a Model T next to today's offerings but still manages to get the job done. Swing-weighted at a hefty D-7, the wide flange makes it the ideal choice out of thick greenside rough or baked hardpan; the ball just floats into the air and settles down like a marshmallow. <<

I'm using the Spalding Executive sand wedge I described earlier because I lost my Ben Hogan Sure Out sand wedge recently when I left it by the practice green at Alhambra. Forgot it, drove back for it, and it was gone. About 50 ft from the golf shop and my name and phone number was on the shaft, so someone liked it as much as I did rather than turn it in or call me.

I'm considering picking another one up and have several on watch at Ebay.

[[Edited by t8fish on Wednesday February 26, 2020 10:41 PM]]
 Message #93720 - This was a reply to message #93712
FirstFlightFX-101
GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Dave Stockton
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Q & V, Rancho DelSol

Friday February 28, 2020 10:53 AM
Hmmm, maybe there's a way GK could hold a themed 'GK plays' outing...a homage to an old school course hosting an 'old clubs only' outing(maybe this has been attempted already)? Just spit balling here...maybe simple rules like nothing in the bag newer than 1990, or 1980, or ??
Same goes for the course, can't be newer than say, 1970?
I have a putter, irons(2-SW), persimmons and even a bag, that all pre-dates 1980...I would show! Maybe t8fish would show with his Executives? Maybe an honorable mention goes to anyone who shows and actually plays with a 1 iron!(nickesquire?) Putting contest(cpennbo)?
General Old?
Diamond Bar?
Jurupa Hills?
Fullerton?
Arrowhead CC?
?...
 Message #93736 - This was a reply to message #93720
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Poppy Maderas

Friday February 28, 2020 11:12 AM
Had a 1 iron in my first Ping set, Karsten I's. A good 1 iron for me was maybe 15, at most 20 yards high and it would roll, and roll, and roll. When courses played firm, that club could go farther than my driver. Needed a decent lie to hit it off the fairway (forget the rough, not happening), but it was a good club to hit into the wind when I wanted good distance and did not want to get it nearly as high as I hit my 3 wood.

Loaned it to a guy on my Jr. College golf team who was having trouble hitting his driver. He hit it well, never got it back. Go figure!

I played with those clubs from the mid 1970's until around 2000, when I upgraded to Ping I-3's. My son now has that old set.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #93737 - This was a reply to message #93736

Listing 11 to 20 of 30 Replies

PAGES: 3 1 2 3

[ Community Page ]