ajanthony
Guys Golf Trip

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday July 14, 2022 5:48 PM
I have been charged with finding a good spot for a guys trip with ample golf to be had.

We live in San Diego (Most likely everyone attending will be from nearby).

It would be nice if it were driveable to keep the expenses down.

Does anyone have experience with a trip to St George?
Is it reasonable to do a day trip to MEsquite from there?

Most of us have golfed enough in Arizona to not want to go there.

Would appreciate suggestions.
Most likely late spring 2023.

Thank you
 Message #102492
abbacat
RE: Guys Golf Trip

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday July 14, 2022 6:18 PM
Mesquite and St George are close...but in different time zones.
I didn't know that my first time there and was an hour late for my tee time at Sky Mountain!
 Message #102493 - This was a reply to message #102492
mpisarski01
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    John Daly & Anyone I beat
Favorite Golf Course:
    Circ Raven, Grizzly Ranch

Thursday July 14, 2022 7:54 PM
Mesquite and St George are fine- Depending on the time of year there are many options. Phoenix area has great value in the summer but you have very high temps. If winter time better value would be mesquite.

If you dont mind a 8 hour drive I would highly suggest Grizzly Ranch- They have cabins on the course and its in the mountains north of Tahoe. We made it a buddies trip 3 years in a row.
 Message #102494 - This was a reply to message #102493
zachary

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    Paul Goydos
Favorite Golf Course:
    Industry Hills

Thursday July 14, 2022 8:55 PM
Bandon
 Message #102495 - This was a reply to message #102492
sr129
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    anyone not on liv
Favorite Golf Course:
    goose creek

Thursday July 14, 2022 11:02 PM
I second Grizzly ranch. You can spend a night in Mammoth and play Sierra Star on the way up. Lots of other options in the area around Grizzly Ranch. I played Plumas Pines and loved it.

[[Edited by sr129 on Thursday July 14, 2022 11:03 PM]]
 Message #102498 - This was a reply to message #102495
rudyclub
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil, Ricky, Kucher
Favorite Golf Course:
    Desert willow, Journey

Friday July 15, 2022 6:45 AM
Love the Graeagle/Portola area. A fun golfing area. There are 5 golf courses with in 30 min or less. Two are very good golf courses. (Grizzly & White Hawk) Plumas Pines, Graeagle GC & The Dragon are all fun courses. No night life. Small mountain retirement towns.
 Message #102499 - This was a reply to message #102498
rudyclub
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil, Ricky, Kucher
Favorite Golf Course:
    Desert willow, Journey

Friday July 15, 2022 6:46 AM
Of course Palm Springs area is Alway's a great golf destination
 Message #102500 - This was a reply to message #102499
michaelko
NorCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers NorCal GK Cup: NorCal GK Cup 1

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Friday July 15, 2022 8:03 AM
I second Bandon... and it's not even close... world class golf, 5 courses, relatively affordable, esp if you can hoof 36/day, good food...

problem is... availability is a huge issue... depending on size of group and flexibility... you ideally need to plan a year out.

I booked for 4: called in July/august, for a March date... they could only find 1 4 person suite on a Tuesday nite... So I reserved that room, made tee times for 36 for wed... only tee times available for thurs were mid morning, so no 36.. and didn't let me book fri until I got a wed nite room. Put me on a wait list.

the good thing is they are good about calling for waitlist. I got a call a month later, and they booked a room for wed, and made my fri mid morning tee time. (no 36 hole times). Then i got a call a month before our trip for my thurs nite room; and by then I changed it to 2 people, but they changed some tee times around, got my rooms where I only had to move once...

point being, that was only for 2 people with a lot of flexibility and midweek trip. If you have multiple foursomes and want to play 36, you need to call when they open it up.

and money wise: in March, 36/18/18, 3 nights lodging, caddy+tip, food... whole trip was under $2k (we drove from Sac in a Tesla, so travel costs basically zero). for world class golf.

but if you can do it, it's so f'in worth it.
 Message #102501 - This was a reply to message #102500
michaelko
NorCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers NorCal GK Cup: NorCal GK Cup 1

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Friday July 15, 2022 8:09 AM
the problem these days with the sierras: the fire risk is real, and can upend your trip without warning. I'd say, you better plan that trip in April-June... cuz any further into summer, you risk fires. And every year, it creeps into spring more and more.

My edgewood/tahoe trip got cancelled the last 2 years... both times in early sept, late aug. This year, we will go in 2 weeks.... crossing fingers.
 Message #102502 - This was a reply to message #102501
Deepsea14
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    Dad and his Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    The one I'm playing

Friday July 15, 2022 1:35 PM
QUOTED  the problem these days with the sierras: the fire risk is real, and can upend your trip without warning. I'd say, you better plan that trip in April-June... cuz any further into summer, you risk fires

The window for the trip is late spring 2023.

Unlikely for large fires that time of year. I'd be more concerned with the conditions of the courses coming out of the winter dormancy.

And it's cold in the Sierra that time of year especially in the mornings.

Going to Coyote Moon in Truckee on Sunday. The low is predicted to be 45 degrees July 17th
 Message #102503 - This was a reply to message #102502

Listing 1 to 10 of 11 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]