140ver
Anywhere, USA - Minnesota

Favorite Golfer:
    angel cabrera
Favorite Golf Course:
    trump scotland-GC only

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday September 21, 2020 11:56 AM
Here's hoping this post will be helpful to those of us who go to see relatives, are someplace on business or just stuck somewhere and need a golf course.
Minnesota National is in McGregor, Mn., about 2 hours north of Minneapolis. Why this golf course is here, I have no idea, but thanks. If you are going this year, better go fast. On the tee, Linda, the starter, asked if we were playing the tips, informing us that Minn. National from the tips was the second hardest ranked course in the state, just behind Hazeltine. Thanks, but those blues were plenty. The greens looked like they had been punched 2-3 weeks before, the only clue being the slightly darker green dots where the punch holes had been. They rolled fast and true and were absolutely treacherous on a few holes. Collars and green complexes were fabulous. For a SoCal golfer, the trees just starting to turn and the incredible condition of the whole course helped to understand why people live here. Of course, in three months things are a little different. The par four par 5s are the stars here. Each are reachable for a long hitter, but you better be long and straight. Lots of bunkering and hidden landing areas. This course favors a cut with 4 dogs moving right to left and 8 tee shots calling for a fade. No rakes in traps, but sand was excellent. Price was $50 to walk and $59 to ride. Might have been the twilight rate. I played twice, both tee times around 3:30. First time was slow in a cart. Second time I walked - pretty good walk - but the pace of play was much quicker than I expected so had to hustle a bit. Clubhouse was beautiful. No houses to speak of, but there was a little out of the way but visible construction on one hole. A few slight elevation changes to make things even more interesting. I tried to get on at Giants Ridge and could not. My hosts said The Quarry is really something, but all things considered - price, travel, fun - they'd rather play here. I was not disappointed. 36 is the way to go if you're here from Minneapolis to justify the drive.
 Message #96374
dconnally
RE: Anywhere, USA - Minnesota

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Arnie
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry; Tobiano

Monday September 21, 2020 12:10 PM
Wow, you’re right – middle of nowhere! Miles from any reasonably sized town. Looks great on Google Earth! Did you see any lodging at the site? Otherwise, I really don’t know how these courses can stay alive financially, given that there’s apparently almost no local base to support it. But I definitely would like to play there! Apparently opened in 2006, designed by an architect I’ve never heard of.
Remember, we could be at work!!
 Message #96377 - This was a reply to message #96374
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Poppy Maderas

Monday September 21, 2020 3:06 PM
Course photos on their website look fantastic. They also list stay and play packages on their website.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #96378 - This was a reply to message #96377
24hourgolf
SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday September 21, 2020 3:31 PM
Was fortunate enough to play here by attending a Best Buy conference. Wonderful wonderful course, location and facilities. We stayed in one of the townhomes. Also local lodging in the area.
 Message #96379 - This was a reply to message #96374
140ver

Favorite Golfer:
    angel cabrera
Favorite Golf Course:
    trump scotland-GC only

Monday September 21, 2020 5:05 PM
Know there is an RV park affiliated to and adjacent to the course. There are a ton of lake houses I'm sure VRBO or AirBnB have on their site. It just seems like there are at least a hundred like this at least I've never heard of. 24hour, I'm amazed you played here. My hosts said Goldstrand had designed several courses in Minnesota. Just thought it might be a fun thread if others posted some pleasant surprises.
 Message #96384 - This was a reply to message #96377
kurator62

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday September 21, 2020 6:51 PM
So, its like bandon dunes?
 Message #96385 - This was a reply to message #96374

Listing 1 to 6 of 6 Replies