Discussions in Travel & Golf Destinations Discussions
Moderated By CPennbo, JohnnyGK, kviser, Paisano, thingstodo

Forums
Golfing
Travel & Golf Destinations Discussions
Big Cedar Lodge - "America's next great golf de...
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: Big Cedar Lodge - "America's next great golf destination"

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 10 of 11 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2
UNCLEDDBOY23
Big Cedar Lodge - "America's next great golf destination"
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Whistling Straits

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday August 29, 2021 4:29 PM
Just got back from a golf trip at Big Cedar Lodge in Hollister, Missouri. Big Cedar Lodge has 5 golf courses ... with three of them being regulation 18 hole courses designed by Tom Fazio (Buffalo Ridge), Bill Coore and Ben Crenshaw (Ozarks National) and Tiger Woods and TGR Design (Payne's Valley) ... this is Tiger's first public course design. The 2 par 3 courses round out the golf at Big Cedar Lodge ... they were designed by Jack Nicklaus (Top of the Rock) and Gary Player (Mountain Top Course). We played all three regulation courses plus Branson Hills Golf Club in nearby Branson, Missouri. Johnny Morris (the owner of Big Cedar and Bass Pro Shops) is trying to make Big Cedar Lodge "America's next great golf destination". He is well on his way in doing that. Was very humbled to meet Johnny Morris during our trip. Let me know if you have any questions about the golf at Big Cedar Lodge. Enjoy all of my reviews!
 Message #99855
Deepsea14
RE: Big Cedar Lodge - "America's next great golf destination"
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    Dad and his Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    The one I'm playing

Sunday August 29, 2021 4:33 PM
Absolutely. Why wouldn't it be with the golf courses alone?

I heard that Mr. Morris is a down to earth humble man. This was before he made the bank he has now.

I'd like to here more about him. And of course your stories of the golf experience!
 Message #99856 - This was a reply to message #99855
noeldaof
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday August 30, 2021 11:15 AM
Sounds like a great place!
How was the food and lodging out there- and are the rates on all points reasonable?
Also, do you have to stay at the properties to play golf?
Thanks in advance.
JVGA
 Message #99867 - This was a reply to message #99855
mpisarski01
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    John Daly & Anyone I beat
Favorite Golf Course:
    Circling Raven

Monday August 30, 2021 11:43 AM
This place is on the list for sure. I knew you were excited to play when we talked a few weeks back and I am glad it was better than you expected.

This place is right up my alley, Outdoors stuff with Big Cedar lodge owned by BASS PRO SHOPS!!!! plus golf...... No doubt a place for me.
 Message #99869 - This was a reply to message #99867
noeldaof
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday August 30, 2021 3:54 PM
I just went in their website and saw some of the coolest things a family could do.
Definitely got to plan and learn more about it. Also, golf must be something we need to call them for assistance/availability.
What an extraordinary place and location with a lot of things to do.
Thanks for the post.
JVGA
 Message #99880 - This was a reply to message #99867
UNCLEDDBOY23

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Whistling Straits

Monday August 30, 2021 5:21 PM
QUOTED  Sounds like a great place!
How was the food and lodging out there- and are the rates on all points reasonable?
Also, do you have to stay at the properties to play golf?
Thanks in advance.

Lodging was very good ... so many options to choose from. Pricing just depends on when you want to go and where you want to stay in the resort. Food was good, but the service could have been a little bit better at the Payne's Valley clubhouse.

I think Payne's Valley golf prices was a little bit steep ($325), but not surprised because it's Tiger's course. We got the twilight rate at $180 ... which I thought was a great rate. I think Payne's Valley will go up to either $375 or $400 in 2022.

You can book tee times well in advance it you stay on property, but only 30 days in advance if you are staying off property. We booked out tee times 7 months in advance.

The website is great and allows you to take a look at all the activities at Big Cedar Lodge.
 Message #99881 - This was a reply to message #99867
UNCLEDDBOY23

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Whistling Straits

Monday August 30, 2021 5:32 PM
QUOTED  This place is on the list for sure. I knew you were excited to play when we talked a few weeks back and I am glad it was better than you expected.

This place is right up my alley, Outdoors stuff with Big Cedar lodge owned by BASS PRO SHOPS!!!! plus golf...... No doubt a place for me.

Matt:
Definitely a place for you to check out. So many things to do the ... the resort is over 4600 acres. It was great getting to meet Johnny Morris ... very humble man. Their website is very good. The only problem is ... where do you fly into? Springfield, Missouri is about an hour away, but Southwest does not fly there. Little Rock, Arkansas is about 170 miles away (and Southwest flies there). We flew into St Louis (260 miles away), and our friend from Indiana picked us up and he drove to Big Cedar Lodge. Car rental prices are still out of control
 Message #99882 - This was a reply to message #99869
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack Freddie Tiger Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Wolf Creek Poppy

Saturday October 2, 2021 7:06 PM
Bandon has kind of overcome the location, location, location challenge of becoming a world class golf destination.

Wisconsin certainly has done well. Perhaps Missouri can as well.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #100222 - This was a reply to message #99882
UNCLEDDBOY23

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Whistling Straits

Saturday October 2, 2021 11:29 PM
Nick:
Big Cedar Lodge is definitely going to help them. They have 3 regulation 18 hole courses and 2 par 3 courses. What I enjoyed about all of the regulation courses is that all three were very different. Was so impressed with the Zoysia fairways on all 3 courses.
 Message #100223 - This was a reply to message #100222
24hourgolf
SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    Arnold Palmer/My Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    Lahinch

Sunday October 3, 2021 11:22 AM
Nick
Whistling Straits is a definite recommended golf trip. I went in 2019 and it was well worth the trip. Easy drive from Chicago O'hare. Not to mention that The Bull at Pinehurst Farms Golf Course the only Nicklaus designed course in WI is minutes away (and its great and the price is fantastic). And Sheboygan has some wonderful food choices in addition to the great food at Whistling Straits. In my top 5 all time golf trips.
 Message #100224 - This was a reply to message #100222

Listing 1 to 10 of 11 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]