Discussions in General Discussions
Moderated By JohnnyGK

Forums
General Forums
General Discussions
going to be a tough summer for Palm Springs are...
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: going to be a tough summer for Palm Springs area courses

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 10 of 11 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2
Nickesquire
going to be a tough summer for Palm Springs area courses
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Poppy Maderas

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday June 17, 2020 5:10 PM
First COVID-19 shut the courses down for over a month of their high season revenue. When they reopened, it was to sparse play due to strict COVID-19 guidelines imposed by Riverside County.

Then came an unseasonably hot month of May with temps most days well above 100.

I did not play out here for about six weeks. After having played three different courses this week that I played in late April or early may, it is shocking the difference.

Rough that was thick and nasty six weeks ago may be hard pan now. Many poor to bad areas on greens and tee boxes. Many areas of the fairways and rough either already or heading toward being golden brown. It looks like the lost revenue is translating into cut backs on watering more than usual this time of year?

These are traditionally the conditions I see in September AFTER a long, hot summer when they are getting ready to scalp the course and close for over seeding.

If they are looking this way in mid June BEFORE the two hottest months of the year, it is NOT a good sign that Palm Springs golf will be decent in spite of the heat this summer.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #95397
mpisarski01
RE: going to be a tough summer for Palm Springs area courses
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    John Daly & Anyone I beat
Favorite Golf Course:
    Griz. Ranch & Chambers

Wednesday June 17, 2020 5:32 PM
I second Nicks post.

The 4 course I have played out there lately have been in less than desirable conditions.
 Message #95398 - This was a reply to message #95397
AndrewZ28
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain

Favorite Golfer:
    Ben Hogan
Favorite Golf Course:
    La Purisima

Wednesday June 17, 2020 5:41 PM
Don't desert courses pretty much pack it in for summer revenue anyway?

I really don't know how much they count on these few months for cash but seems like it's going to be more of "oh well" then "holy sh*t!"

I don't know....
 Message #95399 - This was a reply to message #95398
gary00
GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    jack
Favorite Golf Course:
    arrow wood

Wednesday June 17, 2020 6:19 PM
if the number of deals and discounts as offered by the various voucher companies is any indication the courses are desperate to get golfers to come out just to keep some cash flow going
 Message #95402 - This was a reply to message #95399
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Poppy Maderas

Wednesday June 17, 2020 6:36 PM
QUOTED  if the number of deals and discounts as offered by the various voucher companies is any indication the courses are desperate to get golfers to come out just to keep some cash flow going

Agree Gary. Normally, I purchase many of those vouchers and have some cheap 36 hole days during the summer. However, based on what I have experienced this week @ two private and one semi private club and also what I can see driving down the streets... they may not really be "deals" as much as they are in most years.

To Andrews point: I am wondering out loud if more local courses than usual will shut down for the summer and wait until the fall over seeding to reopen? They are certainty not busy currently. I do not know how many rounds per day they need to justify being open. But I am frequently playing as a single with no one within a few holes on either side of me.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #95403 - This was a reply to message #95402
UNCLEDDBOY23
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Whistling Straits

Wednesday June 17, 2020 9:05 PM
Sad to see that Coachella Valley golf courses are not going to be in good shape this summer ...
 Message #95404 - This was a reply to message #95397
JohnnyGK

JohnnyGK

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach Golf Links

Wednesday June 17, 2020 9:40 PM
There is a threshold although for these golf courses to maintain where they can't lose their Bermuda turf base as that is essential to a successful overseeding and thus prime conditions in season. Its possible they have cut back on water due to the heavy financial impact of COVID-19 but maybe only during May-June transition. I'm speculating of course. Normally the best summer Bermuda turf conditions for golf courses in very hot desert climates is Mid-July - August IF they are watering regularly OR there is considerable monsoon showers.
GK FACEBOOK - Please check it out - CLICK HERE - I'm doing fun posts all the time.
 Message #95405 - This was a reply to message #95397
kevbig
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Tiger Woods
Favorite Golf Course:
    Palmer Course- Turtle Bay

Wednesday June 17, 2020 9:49 PM
After all that has transpired this year, golf courses are simply in survival mode. Desert courses already budget for huge losses during the summer months. I would venture to guess that this year you'll see lots of "deals" to drive as many rounds as possible in order to lose a little less than in normal years. Also, I wouldn't be so sure that all the courses will overseed this year. It just may not be financially feasible after losing the entire peak season. =(
 Message #95407 - This was a reply to message #95405
zachary

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Paul Goydos
Favorite Golf Course:
    Industry Hills

Thursday June 18, 2020 10:39 AM
I have done a tourney out in the desert every year for the last 25 years and this was one of the hardest summers I can remember to try and book 40 guys to play. I have to start planning way out and had everything set up before the Covid hit and shut everything down. The courses out there seem to think they can charge some serious rates for June now. Maybe this will be a wake up call out there. My group has very little needs and the tourney needs nothing but us to load into carts and go, lots of revenue when it is 110 degrees out there and 80 rounds on a Saturday for a course or facility can make a big difference for some of these places. Westin never even returned emails or calls, Marriott will not even deal with a group unless it is over 64 people, so they want you to make individual times. Shadowridge wanted 79 bucks for a Friday afternoon. Classic Club wants $99 Bucks, but you get a 15 dollar credit for the pro shop. I can go on but I used to have courses call me and I could even negotiate the prices. I imagine some will go under out there but maybe they need to adjust their expectations.
 Message #95427 - This was a reply to message #95407
mccad06

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday July 6, 2020 9:23 AM
Hey folks, heading out to the desert this weekend for a 5-day get away as my wife and I need a break. Golf is definitely part of the plan but difficult to find courses that aren't aerating right now. Any suggestions on anywhere with decent conditions? Any of the private courses allow outside plan during the week during summer?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
 Message #95619 - This was a reply to message #95397

Listing 1 to 10 of 11 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]