Slow routine

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Goose Creek

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday January 8, 2017 5:30 AM
Ok played Green River blues, Friday 1st group out for our group of six groups and found out at the course that this guys son was playing, must be early 20's. His routine is ridiculous. Places the ball on the tee, from behind places both hands on the club and does 3 practice swings, now this is all done in slow motio, moves to the ball and does 2 more, moves to the ball with his feet together and resets his hands, then spreads his feet, then takes 2 half back swings, and then hits the ball. He has a nice swing but please he shot 93, I am a 64 year old 5'8 guy and I shot 92 and I NEVER take 1 practice swing, driver hybrid or putter. He has the same routine in the fairways and on the green, major f-ing slow. Man it isn't like with that routine he shot 69..... this type of golfer either thinks he is a hell of alot better than he is or he lacks confidence and has to talk himself into hitting the ball. Man my approach pick the club for the yardage, line yourself up and hit the ball, can't stand this BS slow routine with golfers think they are better and that justifies the slowness.
 Message #81987
dconnally
RE: Slow routine

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    Arnie
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry; Tobiano

Sunday January 8, 2017 9:30 AM
Need to speak to the guy's Dad. Get him movin' or don't bring him back!
Remember, we could be at work!!
 Message #81988 - This was a reply to message #81987
sngernz

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers

Favorite Golfer:
    Bubba!
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spyglass Hill

Sunday January 8, 2017 9:34 AM
Easy solution: don't play with him again.
 Message #81989 - This was a reply to message #81987
kviser

SoCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event LA-GK-Meetup-Winner: LA GK Meetup Winner GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach

Sunday January 8, 2017 10:48 AM
I have to agree with you on the slow routines. It's nerve wracking watching a guy go through a lot of "routine" only to duff the actual shot.

Not that I am defending it but beginning golfers do lack confidence and maybe they heard that's it's good to have a routine.

I always tell them that nobody cares how well they golf, but they do care if you take a lot of time.

[[Edited by kviser on Sunday January 8, 2017 10:49 AM]]
 Message #81990 - This was a reply to message #81987
gary00
GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated! GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    jack
Favorite Golf Course:
    arrow wood

Sunday January 8, 2017 1:34 PM
what was your POP and did you have to wait on any groups ahead? If you got out of position you have every right to tell your group to speed up to catch up. Also if he is prepared before he starts his pre-shot ordeal then he is 1/2 way there but if he sits in the cart doesn't get his yardage and club and is not ready when its his turn he and his dad need a come to jesus lesson in golf etiquette.
 Message #81993 - This was a reply to message #81990
chevelle

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Goose Creek

Sunday January 8, 2017 2:35 PM
Pop was 4:50, we were following a 4 some that had a beginner older guy that hit 3 and 4 shots from the tee. Th a t heing said we never caught them. This "kid" is not a beginner, maybe played college ball don't know. Sad part is you just can't say anything to both him and the dad because they are that tight with the guy that runs the tournament
 Message #81994 - This was a reply to message #81993
1PLUS1

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

Sunday January 8, 2017 2:47 PM
Chevelle...

You have my sympathies...that must have been brutal, especially having to endure it on each and every shot. Perhaps you should have channeled the immortal Ted Knight: "Well...we're waiting.".

However, that being said, the possibility of a "conflict" is always present when a fast player is paired up with someone who is more deliberate. Finding a happy medium where both parties aren't thrown out of their rhythm can be a challenge; if and when it begins to affect pace-of-play is where things can get contentious. This is particularly true if you're not acquainted with each other, which makes it even more important to adopt a tactful approach in order to "keep the peace".

Kviser...

While a lack of confidence may be responsible for the inordinate amount of time spent by amateurs over the ball, I point the finger at the "Everybody Needs To Develop A Pre-Shot Routine" mantra that's been sold to the masses by golf instructors everywhere. Whether on the tee box, in the fairway, or on the putting green, the process of hitting a golf shot now resembles some sort of tribal ritual.

And nowhere is this more evident than on the professional tours. Sure, not every pro takes forever to pull the trigger, but there are some who take it to the extreme. And it's not just the concern with swing mechanics that leads to this paralysis; you've also got the sports psychologists chiming in with their two-cents worth about the mental state-of-mind, which, in some cases, further impedes the process.

It's gotten to the point where I wonder if any of these players are capable of tying their own shoes without having to seek help from their coach or caddy. Nothing irritates me more than seeing caddies stand behind their players in order to confirm they are properly lined up. I see this most on the LPGA Tour and think the practice should be banned.

So if you've got an impressionable, relative newcomer to the game watching all this on TV and being told a pre-shot routine is an absolute necessity and not to swing the club until "all the bases are covered", then it's easy to see how situations like the one Chevelle experienced can become more commonplace.
 Message #81995 - This was a reply to message #81987
chevelle

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Goose Creek

Sunday January 8, 2017 3:42 PM
1plus1. Thank you for understanding, i also decided to just play and not have a confrontation during the round. I am just really proud of myself for controlling my emotions and just playing my game. I doubled the last 2 holes for 92, on course to shoot 88 and for me that is good for GR blues, but I just hit bad shots on 17 and 18, it is all on me

[[Edited by chevelle on Sunday January 8, 2017 3:52 PM]]
 Message #81996 - This was a reply to message #81995
CancerFighter39

Favorite Golfer:
    YES
Favorite Golf Course:
    YES,it's a Secret!

Sunday January 8, 2017 4:57 PM
QUOTED ...can't stand this BS slow routine with golfers....

Blame the golf TV announcers...I too take ZERO practice swings!

CF39
I am in the FIGHT of my life! At this time, I do not have the ability to Caddie for a Professional even though I made many contacts over the years...
 Message #81997 - This was a reply to message #81987
roarksown1
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter GK Guru: GK Gurus Review Writers GK Cup Player: If you played in a GK Cup win or lose - you are acknowledged and appreciated!

Favorite Golfer:
    Ty Webb
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bighorn Golf Club

Sunday January 8, 2017 6:45 PM
I played with a kid like this once too at Harbor Park one twilight. We were trying to make sure to get in before dark and this kid simply took so long with every shot that everyone in the group just started moving on ahead of him until he finally got the message. What made it more annoying was how many bad shots he hit with all that deliberation. Line it up. One practice swing behind the ball. Hit the darn thing.
 Message #81999 - This was a reply to message #81997

Listing 1 to 10 of 27 Replies

PAGES: 3 1 2 3

[ Community Page ]