RE: Golf courses in movies/commercials
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday January 18, 2017 11:20 PM
QUOTED  Curious about bagger Vance, the greatest game ever play and modern family. Anyone have time for research?

I just Googled "Modern Family golf" and watched the YouTube clip. On a hunch, I thought it was probably MountainGate, and I believe that's correct. There's a tiny bit of the clubhouse in view at the very end of the clip, and the stairs and railings seem to match photos in a Google image search for MountainGate clubhouse.

Related, I found an interview with Larry David where he mentioned they shot the Black Swan episode of Curb at MountainGate, but using Google maps I couldn't match up any locations with the visible landmarks on the course in that YouTube clip roarksown1 posted.
 Message #82118 - This was a reply to message #82116
dand

Favorite Golfer:
    M. Wie
Favorite Golf Course:
    hate 'em all!

Thursday January 19, 2017 6:19 AM
This topic made me think of a Judge Judy episode where a guy was on #3 at Santa Anita (I recognized it from photos he produced) and pulled a shot left and broke the window of a parked car. The golfer claimed he wasn't responsible but of course Judge Judy ruled against him.

A week or so after I saw that show I was playing Santa Anita and as I stood on #3 tee box I thought about the episode and looked off to the left and thought to myself how in the world could he have missed that far left. . This is one wide fairway I might add. Of course - target fixation attacked my pea-brain and I hit a hard hook that ended up in the street. I was lucky and missed striking a car.

I've played Santa Anita over the years at least fifty times - that was the one and only time I missed that fairway. I blame it on the Judge, or maybe it was the guy's fault - certainly it wasn't my fault I hooked that ball that morning.
 Message #82119 - This was a reply to message #82094
sparky14
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Ben Crenshaw
Favorite Golf Course:
    All except Shorecliffs

Thursday January 19, 2017 7:39 AM
I'm pretty sure Journey at Pechanga has been used in numerous commercials. Most of them implying you need a little blue pill to (1) get the ladies, and (2) drive over that big ravine.
 Message #82120 - This was a reply to message #82094
mpisarski01
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    John Daly & Anyone I beat
Favorite Golf Course:
    Griz. Ranch & Chambers

Thursday January 19, 2017 7:49 AM
QUOTED  Curious about bagger Vance, the greatest game ever play and modern family. Anyone have time for research?

Per Wiki

Portions of the exhibition match were set at the Kiawah Island Golf Resort in South Carolina, United States, considered one of the toughest in the country. Jack Lemmon had his movie heart attack on No. 11 of the resort's Cougar Point golf course. The final hole in the film was temporary, so the filming did not interfere with the club activities, and cost US $200,000 to build. However, most of the golf scenes were filmed at Colleton River Plantation,[6] just off Hilton Head Island.[7] Certain segments of this film were also filmed in Savannah, Georgia, USA and Jekyll Island, Georgia, USA.[
 Message #82121 - This was a reply to message #82116
kassper7
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    It varies
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry

Thursday January 19, 2017 10:00 AM
QUOTED  There's a FedEx commercial (golfer guy brings people off the street to the course for some reason) where Friendly Hills is the setting.

I know the guy who was the "Random Hitchhiker" from that FedEx Corporate Tournament commercial..... so funny to see him
 Message #82123 - This was a reply to message #82095
BGarcelon

Favorite Golfer:
    Angel Cabrera
Favorite Golf Course:
    Boundary Oak

Thursday January 19, 2017 2:35 PM
I want to say one of the courses used in Curb is Riviera. I also believe that Larry David was a member there, and lived in that area.

[[Edited by BGarcelon on Thursday January 19, 2017 2:37 PM]]
 Message #82127 - This was a reply to message #82123
Itslikeimsayin
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Thursday January 19, 2017 5:53 PM
This GX7 commercial airing on Golf Channel constantly must be somewhere in Sedona, right? Cool looking mountains.

I remembered there was a different commercial for some novelty club or swing aid last year that included a few shots of San Vicente Resort in Ramona. I recognized it because it was the exact hole where I hit a terrible drive to seal my fate in a GK Cup match against divotnjay.
 Message #82131 - This was a reply to message #82127
robule
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Couples, Ko, Day
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Friday January 20, 2017 10:11 AM
QUOTED  Those of you familiar with Recreation Park Golf Course in Long Beach will recognize that the opening scene of this clip is from #10 tee looking southeast with the tall Veteran's Administration Hospital Building in the background. The scene then changes to another golf course for the dialogue.

And par for the course, filming was at least one hour behind schedule due to slow cameras.
 Message #82134 - This was a reply to message #82113
roarksown1
GK Event: Played in a GK Event Birdie Chain: Stake Holder BCB Birdie Chain GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Ty Webb
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bighorn Golf Club

Friday January 20, 2017 11:17 AM
QUOTED  And par for the course, filming was at least one hour behind schedule due to slow cameras.

I'm just shocked to see it so green!
 Message #82135 - This was a reply to message #82134
t8fish
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    My Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    Wykagyl GC

Friday January 20, 2017 11:49 AM
It was really bugging me because I could remember the scene and identifying the location, but it has been years and I wasn't certain of the show. Thanks to the internet, I was able to confirm the details.

An episode of Dexter was shot by the clubhouse and first tee area of Penmar in Venice. Dexter is supposed to be set in Miami, in this case the "Bay Shore Country Club" but I immediately knew Penmar when I saw it since I used to live quite close and played there frequently.

For the record, It was episode 10 of season 2: "There's Something About Harry"

Supposedly set in Miami, it was obvious that much of the shooting was done in the LA area. In particular, I noticed whenever there was an off shore ocean scene, glimpses of the breakwater and drilling islands in the background gave it away that they were shooting in Long Beach.

I am inordinately pleased to have gotten that confirmed and out of my head.
 Message #82136 - This was a reply to message #82135

Listing 21 to 30 of 84 Replies

PAGES: 9 1 2 3 4 5

[ Community Page ]