Music on the course
GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Mark O’Meara
Favorite Golf Course:
    Mission Hills Gary Player

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Saturday November 21, 2020 10:32 PM
Music on the course: Yes or No, and then discuss. It is useful to know how others feel generally regardless of your own view.

I am a No. I love music, and all kinds (okay, most), but to and from the course, not on it. My experience is that it is on the rise but not yet predominant; few who choose to play with music ask if others mind, they just turn it on, but few play it loudly (for me, it is distracting if I can hear it at all). I usually am joining others, so I do not impose my view if the rest of the group is okay with it. But it is annoying to me and I would prefer the sounds of nature even when those sounds are mostly from a nearby freeway). I would not make a scene of it but would definitely switch tee times if I could to avoid it, and have done so on one occasion. Just not my scene, but I do get it if you like it.

I think it is helpful to know the views of fellow golfers serious enough to be on this website. Might help people avoid disputes by understanding if they are in the majority or minority and how those who disagree feel about it. So, thanks for the replies!
 Message #97022
zachary
RE: Music on the course

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Paul Goydos
Favorite Golf Course:
    Industry Hills

Sunday November 22, 2020 7:05 AM
I am a yes on music and don't understand why people have a problem with it. There are very few, if any, courses in CA., especially So Cal that don't have airplane or traffic noise that is constant and loud. I don't understand the "nature" angle at all. I can still hear the hawks and the birds and have the music Seems it is a lot of people can't seem to focus for the 5 seconds it should take to hit a ball and block out the noise. I for one, would rather hear the Eagles over the Airplane noise.
 Message #97028 - This was a reply to message #97022
SBogey

SoCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil/Day/
Favorite Golf Course:
    Eagle Falls

Sunday November 22, 2020 7:35 AM
I am OK with music on the course. It has only come up a couple times but I did not find it distracting at all. In a stressful situation like match play it is kind of relaxing and takes my mind off the match and enjoy the round. Loud heavy metal maybe not but softly playing in the background seems fine. I am not likely to bring music myself but would not be bothered by it.
 Message #97029 - This was a reply to message #97028
Itslikeimsayin
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Sunday November 22, 2020 7:40 AM
Here's a whole thread:

https://www.greenskeeper.org/forums/discussions.cfm?forumid=2158&topicid=89203

[[Edited by Itslikeimsayin on Sunday November 22, 2020 7:41 AM]]
 Message #97030 - This was a reply to message #97029
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GKGC EAGLE: GKGC Eagle Supporter

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack-Freddie-Tiger-Rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Poppy Maderas

Sunday November 22, 2020 8:54 AM
QUOTED  I am a yes on music and don't understand why people have a problem with it.

I like music... alot, but do not indulge on the course. Have played with people who kept it so low you had to be within 10 yards of their cart to hear it. Regardless of their musical choice, they get a thumbs up. Considerate and respectful of others.

Have also played with a few that you could probably hear their music a full hole away. Inconsiderate and not being respectful of others, thumbs down.

While I can appreciate all different kinds of music... if I am trying to make a 6' putt with break, I don't want loud rap or heavy metal seemingly making the ball bounce on the green blaring from a greenside cart.
The goal has always been long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, hopefully straighter could be achieved more than occasionally?
 Message #97032 - This was a reply to message #97028
24hourgolf
SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday November 22, 2020 9:18 AM
QUOTED  While I can appreciate all different kinds of music... if I am trying to make a 6' putt with break, I don't want loud rap or heavy metal seemingly making the ball bounce on the green blaring from a greenside cart.

Exactly
 Message #97033 - This was a reply to message #97032
sparky14
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GKGC BIRDIE: GKGC Birdie Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member

Favorite Golfer:
    Ben Crenshaw
Favorite Golf Course:
    All except Shorecliffs

Sunday November 22, 2020 10:56 AM
I'm a NO on this one. I don't want to be forced to listen to someone else's music.

Wireless earphones work great if you want to listen to music and not bother others.
 Message #97035 - This was a reply to message #97022
PokerGuy0826
GKGC Par: GKGC Par Supporter SCGA GK Golf Club: Member GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Freddy Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    TPC Sawgrass

Sunday November 22, 2020 2:04 PM
Like others here have already stated, I would never play music on the course, but I have no issue with others as long as it's respectful (something that is becoming less and less the norm). I've seen it both ways, where I thought there was a party over on #6 and even the cart girl was bopping to the tunes, but most often, people that play their music keep it low enough so as not to disturb others. Unless it was obviously too loud and being distracting I would also probably never say anything to someone playing their favorite tunes.
 Message #97038 - This was a reply to message #97022
bmanmp

Favorite Golfer:
    Freddy & Jordan
Favorite Golf Course:
    Wolf Creek GC

Sunday November 22, 2020 4:10 PM
I am a 100% yes. In today's world where we end up waiting on a lot of shots, music helps keep me in rhythm. If I'm playing by myself, first out and no one in front of me, I can get into a good groove where I don't need it but it's because i'm not waiting. Just serves as a gentle reminder to take a breath, get my swing thoughts right and go from there.
 Message #97041 - This was a reply to message #97022
1PLUS1

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

Sunday November 22, 2020 4:47 PM
Said it before...and will say it again: a resounding NO!

I don't need it to calm my nerves, keep me in rhythm, drown out the din of nearby vehicle or airplane traffic, nor occupy my time while waiting in-between shots. If that's your thing, then be considerate and use earphones. And just because golf carts are now being equipped with speakers and media sources, that doesn't make it the accepted 'norm'.
 Message #97043 - This was a reply to message #97022

Listing 1 to 10 of 13 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]